Monday, May 10, 2010

Unconventional stuff


Today I have wore white socks on my sandals (oh yeah, i wear Chappals to work... does it effects anyone? - and is it effect or affect - whatever, but you got the feeling rt? ) Seems it is not a popular culture here in Chennai as hundreds of eyes have checked me since morning. By the way, I must tell you, its a mighty feeling when you watch everyone looking down at your feet with bowed necks and not straight into your eyes - as if awed by your attire and feeling timid before your unconventional self. i didn't know it before that white socks could bring so much traffic to your site... agghhh err ... I mean so much attention to your body. Otherwise I have a cupboard full of such clothes. I mean Wardrobe.

I had always been a little kinky. When the whole class was revising Operating Systems for the exam the next day, I was studying Computer Networks. On the eve of the day before Computer Networks exams, I was wondering whether it would be of any use to buy Operating Systems book. And finally when the semester was over, I bought the latest edition of Galvin (OS book). 

And this was not just in engineering where I tried my odd ways. Board exams - Chemistry exam due next day. Every single soul who was writing board that year was busy sucking up every chemical out of their books. But here was me - the freak, the unorthodox - I was learning how to fly kites. And in the long vacation between boards and class XIth, I was mugging up chemistry. Though I still hate it. If it was not for Chemistry - I would have cracked IIT - or so I think. I wanted to be a Computer Engineer. I am now. But to get through the entrance I have to leaf through thousands of pages of chemistry text. Now I was more interested in the electrical configuration of my laptop - not its chemical texture. May be so many subjects are introduced in the early years of our education so as to serve as a fall back mechanism. Fail one career path - choose another. You tried to be an engineer - could not do well - don't feel harassed and disgruntled. Go out and look out for hidden ancient temples. Remember, you studied history once? Or may be go look out for dinosaurs and if you find one buried in the hollows of earth - wonder what killed them. Rip apart mysteries.

"We have an unconventional education system" 

Voice of the students across our country. 

No comments: